Nepali Name: मोरङ्गी चील (Morangi Cheel)
1. Observed hunting from a perch during the current visit but does hunt on the wing.
Nepali name: राज हुटीट्याउ (Raj Huttittyau)
1. The Bagmati River by Chobhar is one of the best places in Nepal for these winter visitors. At least 150 individuals in a small stretch of the river during the current visit. November-January is the best time to see these birds here.
2. They congregate in huge flocks around 10 am.
3. Bonelli’s Eagle prey on these birds in this locality.
Nepali Name: हिमाली गिद्ध (Himali Gidda)
2. To get closeup shots, either catch them while they feed or near their roosting place before the thermals build up.
3. A brochure to locate vulture restaurants in Nepal, a commendable and highly successful conservation project: www.birdlifenepal.org/download.php?f=86
Nepali Name: द्रोणक चील (Dronak Cheel)
1. Soars gracefully just above the forest canopy
Nepali Name: बाख्रे जुरेली (Bakhre Jureli)
1. Outside the breeding season in April, it is found in huge flocks in deep forests.
2. Never descends to the ground and also catches flies on the wing like a flycatcher.
3. Doesn’t react strongly to playback.
Nepali name: हुटीट्याउ (Huttityau)
1. Also known as “Did-he-do-it Pity-he-did-it” because of its flight call.
2. Usually found in singles or pairs and flies off only a short distance upon being approached.