Nepali name: राज हुटीट्याउ (Raj Huttittyau)
1. The Bagmati River by Chobhar is one of the best places in Nepal for these winter visitors. At least 150 individuals in a small stretch of the river during the current visit. November-January is the best time to see these birds here.
2. They congregate in huge flocks around 10 am.
3. Bonelli’s Eagle prey on these birds in this locality.
Nepali Name: हिमाली लेकचरी Himali Lekchari
1. One of the tamest birds of the high altitudes.
Nepali Name: टेमु (Temu)
1. If properly trained, this is a bird that could make mountaineering legends and that too without supplemental oxygen. Has been reported from camps as high as 8,000m in Everest.
Nepali Name: काकाकुल (Kakakul)
1. As its name suggests it is specialized reptile hunter, feeding on well snakes and lizards.
2. Calls incessantly.
Nepali Name: हाडफोर (Haadfor)
1. Bird with the longest wingspan in Nepal with some upto 9ft. It is a quite an experience to have this bird fly up close, its like a glider tearing through the air.
2. The word “Lammergeier” means Lamb-Eagle and incorrectly ascribes the Golden Eagle’s property of livestock depredation to this rather docile bird.
3. Its Nepali Name Haadfor however rightly describes its preference for bone fragments which it acquires by dropping large bones from great heights.
4. Personally, I find the Lammergeier one of the most magnificent of the birds.
Nepali Name: आसकोटे बकुल्ला (Aaskote Bakulla)
1. The transformation this bird goes through from non-breeding to breeding plumage is just amazing.
2. Kind of hard to spot when resting. Flies off with a flash of white. Wonder how does that make sense evolutionarily?