Nepali name: कुथुर्के (Kuthurke)
1. A bird of light forest beside human habitation.
2. Like other barbets is a rather conspicuous bird because of its incessant call of took-a-rook took-a-rook….
Nepali Name: बगाले भ्याकुर (Bagale Bhyakur)
1. Also known as the Seven Sisters or Saath Bhai as it invariably travels in groups.
2. Ground feeders.
3. Respected even by hawks because they do not scatter away at signs of trouble but stand fast besides their comrades.
4. Common foster parent for Large Hawk-Cuckoo and Pied Crested Cuckoo.
5. Rather brave, the picture of the bird with its feathers all puffed up was shot when that individual came to scare me off!!
Nepali Name: दमाई चरा / पातसिउने फिष्टो (Damai Chara/Patsiune Fisto)
1. Reacts very strongly to playback.
2. The interesting nest it builds is rather very hard to spot even when you know it is there.
Nepali Name: खोया हाँस (Khoyahaans)
1. One of the highest flying birds in the world with reports of flight over Everest at an altitude of 9,375m.
2. Rare passage migrant in the Kathmandu Valley.
Nepali Name: चन्चले सुड्सुडीया (Chanchale Sudsudiya)
1. In Bagmati River near Chobhar their numbers peaks during January.
2. Usually solitary.
3. Found in close proximity to the Green Sandpiper with which it is reported to interbreed.
4. Flies swiftly just above the surface of the water.
Nepali Name: मरूल (Marul)
1. One of the tamest birds in Taudaha. Winter visitor.
Nepali Name: सानो जलेवा (Saano Jalewa)
1. Nests in groups. Breeding season: July-September.
2. Ghodaghodi Lake in far-western Nepal is a good place to see these birds.
Nepali Name: सिलसिले (Silsile)
1. Tree nesters, either in holes or abandoned nests. Breeding season: June-September.
Nepali Name: कोकले (Kokale)
1. Even though it lives in close proximity to human beings is rather wary.