Nepali Name: आसकोटे चरी Aaskote Chari
Nepali Name: केशराज चिबे Keshraj Chibe
1. Its scientific name reminds me of a tongue twister:
If a Hottentot tutor taught a Hottentot tot
to talk ‘ere the tot could totter,
Ought the Hottentot be taught to say aught?
Or, what ought to be taught her?
If to hoot and toot a Hottentot tot
Be taught by a Hottentot tutor,
Should the tutor get hot if the Hottentot tot
Hoots and toots at the Hottentot tutor?
2. The bird was aggressively guarding the silk-cotton tree it was feeding on, letting only other hair-crested drongos to share it. Parakeets and Mynahs were mercilessly chased away.
Nepali Name: कण्ठे सुगा Kanthe Suga
1. Rather common in the Terai. The population in Kathmandu is largely due to escaped birds.
2. Breeds February to May. The bird in the picture is standing at the entrance of its nest.
3. Outside the breeding season lives in large groups.
4. Very similar to Alexendrine Parakeet except for smaller size and lack of crimson shoulder patch.